Monday, February 17, 2014

Perler Bead Coasters DIY


I didn't know how they were called. I didn't know where to find them. I only knew that they were super fun and that, well... I needed them badly. And as all good things in life, I discovered them accidentally - and couldn't believe my luck. I've been playing with them ever since.
And by them I mean perler beads. You might remember playing with them as a kid. Мy best friend introduced them to me when we were in high school and we used to spend sleepless nights making ridiculous jewellery that we loved but actually never wore. Or - you might still be playing with them secretly? At least I do - not so secretly, though.
Perler beads are a lot of fun. I might be hooked. I might have written a whole list of things I'd like to make out of them. I might have used half a jar of in one day. Dexter might have eaten a bead or two out of curiosity. Don't try that at home. Dexter's a professional.


The supplies needed for a set of cute geometric coasters are simple: some beads in your favourite colours, a circle pegboard, parchment paper and an iron.


It's super easy - create a design you like, carefully cover it with parchment paper and iron it for a couple of seconds until the beads fuse together. Once you've done that you might want to put your coasters under a pile of heavy books (don't remove the parchment paper yet) just to make sure they stay completely flat.


Half an hour later you have your perfectly flat super cute geometric coasters - now you only need a fancy drink to put on top. Homemade lemonade is always a good idea.


7 comments:

  1. I loved these beads when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love perler beads. And making coasters out of them is an awesome idea! The black and white make them look even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh!! I remember these! But I definitely wouldn't have remembered the name. Love the coasters!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! amazing idea! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous! I shall try making these myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it reminds me of my childhood. i used to love playing with these beads when i was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea!
    I have those beads from ikea, no idea what to do with them
    I will try this!

    ReplyDelete

An old myth says that if you leave from a blog without sharing your opinion about a post, a little raccoon will sneak in your room tonight and it will steal your favourite pair of socks! Beware!