Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pencil Picture Frame DIY


Here's a quick and simple way to pretty up an ordinary picture frame and add a little pop of colour to your place! Grab your old colouring pencils and join the fun!


1. You will need: a plain picture frame (the wider - the better!), all-purpose glue, a set of colouring pencils, a sharpener and a knife or a small hand-saw to cut all the pencils with. 2. First off, we need to cut the pencils to smaller ones and sharpen every single piece. I used a kitchen knife for the job and it took me about an hour to cut the whole set of pencils and another half an hour to sharpen every piece. 3. Start arranging the little pencils on the frame without using any glue. That way you can always rearrange something you don't like, swap colours and check if you will need to cut a pencil with an exact length. 4. When you've arranged all the little pieces, make sure that the pencil-frame fit perfectly within your plain frame and there aren't any pencils slipping out. 5. Time for sticking! I don't recommend instant glue in this case, because it doesn't give you the freedom to move around the particles after sticking them. I chose a slowly drying glue, so I was able to play with the little pencils even after applying the glue and arrange them in a way that best covers the frame. (Note: round pencils would be harder to attach because of their shape! It is not impossible, of course, but it would take a lot more time.) Leave the frame aside for an hour or two for the glue to completely dry. 6. Put a favourite picture in the frame and we're done!
Have fun with this little project and be extremely careful when cutting the pencils! :)

22 comments:

  1. Soo cute! I love this. Thanks for sharing.

    xo, vicky
    http://somehowlovely.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouuu I love the way it turned out! What a colourful funky piece!

    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I love the idea! Look really cute!

    xx
    biskvittka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow this is really cute!

    www.rollolollo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment!
    Your blog is amazing, love the pothos,diy projects... follow you!

    www.mykitschworld.blogpost.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My god, your drawings are so good!! You've earned yourself a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute!

    http://mandycrandell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the color!!

    this would be a fun one to do with my kiddos!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it !
    Hey, I'm Luiza, from Brazil, I found your blog on the "5 inch and up" follower's !

    xo, Lu

    http://luizawonderland.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so creative and cute! I love your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lilah!
    What a beautiful post :) I loved it, and I love your blog too!!!
    I found a lot of inspiration here :)

    I am an italian fashion blogger..please, just if you have time, check out my blog, and maybe follow me back with Google Friend Connect/Facebook, if you like it! You won't regret it :-D
    However, you have a new follower starting from............NOW :)

    Anna

    http://www.followpix.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. UBER cute! very inspiring <3
    mind to visit my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea, and oh the colour combination possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my! that is seriously a great D.I.Y that will be a great gift for a friend. thanks for sharing xo

    The Young Bridget Jones

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so brilliant!!!! I love it. I can't wait to try

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow. . . really nice art. . . .you have a terrific idea. . .love it. . thanks a lot for sharing it to me,... congratz..
    vapor recovery tower

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this project :) So creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a great idea, a wonderful technique to make the home more jolly.

    ReplyDelete

An old myth says that if you leave from a blog without sharing your opinion about a post, a little raccoon will sneak in your room tonight and it will steal your favourite pair of socks! Beware!